TrackSAFE undertakes a number of trauma support initiatives –such as Rail R U OK?Day, trauma training, hosting of rail industry trauma support forums and offering RailRes, the rail industry’s trauma support app – all with the intention of creating a working environment of inclusiveness and care.
In addition to this, The TrackSAFE Foundation offers rail industry organisations accredited and internationally recognised Mental Health First Aid training.
In a similar vein to having First Aid Officers in the workplace, Mental Health First Aid Officers have the skills and knowledge to assist their co-workers in a range of situations. With 45% of Australians between the ages of 16-85 likely to experience a mental health condition in their lifetime, having skilled people available in a workplace is critical.
Appointing Mental Health First Aid Officers in your workplace is a positive way to demonstrate that your organisation cares about individual well-being. Mental Health First Aid Officers are trained to provide initial informal support to other employees in the workplace, outside of Human Resources and Workplace Health & Safety departments. They can complement Rail RUOK? Day activities and formal support services, such as Employee Assistance Programs.
Course content is suitable for employees at all levels, providing participants with:
- skills in how to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health problems;
- knowledge of the possible causes or risk factors for these mental health problems;
- awareness of available evidence-based medical, psychological and alternative treatments;
- skills in how to give appropriate initial help and to support someone experiencing a mental health problem; and
- skills in how to take appropriate action if a crisis situation arises involving suicidal behaviour, panic attack, stress reaction to trauma, overdose or threatening psychotic behaviour.
TrackSAFE is currently taking 2021 course bookings. To request a quote please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Heather Neil on 0413 117 996.